A Merdeka Message...


31/8/57. That was when our country became independent from the British.

31/8/08. That will be when we celebrate our 51st year of independence.

During this period of time, what have we truly achieved?

During this period of time, are we peaceful?

During this period of time, have we lived in harmony?

Sadly, no. For half a century, we have achieved nothing much.

Wanna know why? I'll tell you why:

Our education system (still) sucks.
Seriously, studying Moral Education will make you a better person? What about those rapists? What about the snatch thieves? They were also students. They also took Moral. Cut the bullsh*t.

Then there's History. I don't mind reading Islamic History, but IT IS A PROBLEM when most of my damn History textbook is filled with it. Where's World History? Just because you keep telling me about the Prophet doesn't make me like him anymore than before I did.

Then there's that examination system. I can't believe we're still sticking to that crappy system. What worked a decade ago doesn't necessarily work now. Change the system. Cramming data inside your brain doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried.

Our politics sucks.
I dunno where to even start. If you're Malaysian, you'll know.


I've got so many more things I loathe, but then I need to keep the post short.


To me, Malaysia is an ideal.
An ideal where everyone's the same race: Malaysian.
An ideal where opportunities are given equally, not because of race.
An ideal where the law is just that: the law.
An ideal where politicians strive to improve, not bicker and make stupid sexist comments.

This country I live in is not worthy of the name Malaysia.
This country I live in is not worthy of the effort spent on freeing it.

Will I live to see the ideal turn into reality?
I don't think so.

Happy Independence Day.

1 comments:

  zefiriel

August 31, 2008 at 12:56 AM

You may not be able to live to see the change, but you can live to be it.

Join the Education Ministry!!!

:D