"Why So Serious?" - The Dark Knight: My Few Cents


I went to watch "The Dark Knight" on Thursday. I was expecting something a movie that's totally awesome. I WAS WRONG. This movie has exceeded my expectations. This is not just a film, it's a masterpiece. It's a comic book film done right. Forget the Spidey trilogy, ignore Superman, heck, disregard every Batman movie except "Batman Begins", 'cause this film just made them piss their pants...

If you've followed the hype, you'll know the plot: Joker comes, causes chaos blablabla, Batsy saves the day. What's surprising that it's so REAL. I know it's a comic book character, but then the movie portrays him as a real being. Not Spider-Man kind of "real"(seriously, a guy in red-and-blue spandex swinging around? Kind of makes him an easy target, wouldn't it?), not Iron Man kind of "real"(genius you may be, but those thrusters seem to be only feasible if they worked on nuclear power. Which means radiation. Which will kill you.) , just reality kind of real, you get me? The movie brings to light the consequences of Batman guarding Gotham, both positive and negative.

Now the acting. Christian Bale now IS Bruce Wayne. Now, every time I see his face, I'm expecting a Batsuit somewhere. The only thing I don't really like is the voice he uses when he dons the suit. Makes me wonder how he gets through all the nights without Strepsils. Maggie Gyllenhaal proves to be a good replacement for Katie Holmes, Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent makes me wanna become a politician, Gary Oldman's James Gordon is awesome, and the two veterans (Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine) are superb in their roles as Lucius Fox and Alfred respectively. Other than the small gripe that I was expecting Alfred to be thinner and sporting a mustache like in the comics, I'm impressed with Caine as The Bat's advisor.

Then there's the late Heath Ledger. Boy, the Joker is creepy. I mean really, really creepy. I'll never look at a pencil the same way again. His portrayal of the Joker makes you wonder whether the Joker is really just a man gone to the dark side, or just simply a psychopath. He's crazy, violent and funny all at the same time. And how the Joker got those scars on his face? Don't ask. Forget Jack Nicholson's version, this one just kicked its butt.

I want to talk more about it, but then there'll be spoilers. Which I'm not telling you about. I'm just telling you this: This movie also tells us the relationship between Batman and Joker. No, not that kind of relationship. Both Batman and Joker exist for each other(yes, I know that sounded wrong). Both of them are polar opposites: Batman an agent of order, the Joker for chaos. Without one, the other doesn't have a reason to exist.

Ok, I think I'm done. I think. If you're still reading this, you're an idiot. Get of the chair and go watch this movie now. Why? Let me tell you why: Iron Man was awesome, The Dark Knight is "so-awesomely-awesome-I-don't-have-an-awesomely-awesome-word-to-describe-awesome-awesomeness"
that kind of awesome. Get out now.

0 comments: